About Mineral Oils:
A mineral oil is any of various colorless, odorless, light mixtures of higher alkanes from a non-vegetable (mineral) source, particularly a distillate of petroleum,- like White oil, kerosene oil, Paraffin oil and other petroleum product.
Health effect of Mineral oil as adulterant: Carcinogenic,
Method – 1:
Principle: The presence of Mineral oil is indicated by the development of turbidity when hot water is added to a freshly made alcoholic solution of the soap formed by the oil.
· Take 2 ml of oil sample and add an equal quality of N/2 Alcoholic Potash.
· Heat in boiling water bath (dip in boiling water) for about 15 minutes and add 10 ml of water. Any turbidity shows the presence of Mineral oil more than 1 % w/w.
Method – 2: Holde’s Test
· Take 25 ml of the alcoholic KOH solution in conical flask and add 1 ml of the sample of oil to be tested.
· Boil on a water bath using an air or water cooled condenser till the solution becomes clear and no oily drops are found on the sides of the flask.
· Take out the flask from the water bath, transfer the contents to a wide mouthed warm test tube and carefully add 25 ml of boiling distilled water along the sides of the test tube.
· Keep on shaking the tube lightly from side to side during the addition.
· The turbidity indicates presence of Mineral oil, the depth of turbidity depends on the percentage of mineral oil present.
=======Click Here to Read More========>>>>>>