ADULTERATION OF METANIL YELLOW IN GRAM FLOUR
Adulterant: Metanil yellow-
Metanil yellow is the Toxic non-permitted food color used extensively in Asian countries as food color.
Genuine Product: Gram flour without metanil yellow.
Health effect of Metanil yellow:
· Disturb Central Nervous system.
Reason for adulteration: To increase the brightness of gram flour for look like a better quality.
Detection of Metanil yellow in Gram flour (besan)
- Hydrochloric acid
4.1. Test tube
· Take half teaspoon of besan in test tube.
· Pour 3 ml of alcohol in the test tube.
· Mix up the contents thoroughly up by shaking the test tube.
· Add 10 drops of hydrochloric acid in it.
· Appearance of pink color in gram flour indicates the presence of metanil yellow adulteration.
· FSSAI Manual on adulteration, Part – 2.